To reduce the risk of dependency on public assistance among recipients of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), our Self- Sufficiency Fund Program provides training for employment opportunities that enable participants to achieve self-sufficiency while retaining their dignity.
The construction, warehouse, and welding industries are forecast for consistent long-term growth that will generate hundreds of local jobs for which skilled workers are needed.
Once certified in a skill, Civic Heart program graduates can expect to earn two to three times that of a non-certified or minimum wage laborer, and sometimes, even more.
The career training program aims to develop projects that:
- will create jobs in the workforce areas through collaboration
- allow participants who complete the training to attain an industry- recognized certificate or credential in one of the following targeted areas:
- Certified Logistics Associate
- Sheet Metal 1
- Painter 1
- Craft Laborer
- Forklift Operator
- Welder Level 1
- Living in Harris County at the time of enrollment
- Recipient and individuals at risk of becoming dependent on public assistance
- TANF recipients
- Earn less than $37,000 a year with a dependent
- Has a desire to better their situation
- Financial literacy
- Job-readiness workshop
- Dress for success / Career Gear interview attire
- Job placement
- Food For Change Scholarship
- Free admission to ALL Civic Heart job fairs
Program Resources English:
Houston Food Bank – Food for Change Program Application
Food for Change Market Locator
Program Resources en Español:
Formulario de Referencia
Herramienta de evaluación
Other programs you might find helpful
ACA Health Navigator
The ACA Health program provides trained Navigators to help individuals and families gain access to health insurance.
The HIV Prevention program uses several methods and interventions that have proved highly effective in reducing the risk of, and protecting against, HIV infection.
Connecting Kids to Coverage
Connecting Kids to Coverage is an outreach and enrollment initiative to educate families on how they can enroll children in the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and Medicaid.